Leeds City Council has a legal duty to ensure the provision of sufficient school places in the city, and due to a rising birth rate and new housing developments, has established an ongoing city-wide school expansion programme to meet increased demand for school places. Meanwood is an area where there is an increased demand for primary age places. Projection data from various sources identifies that an additional 30 reception places (equivalent to up to 1 form of entry) may be needed across the area from September 2015.
As part of the process for identifying options and reviewing school place provision in the Meanwood area, a Stakeholder Engagement Event using Outcome Based Accountability (OBA) methodology was held on 9 March 2015. The aim was to bring key stakeholders together to discuss the issues and generate ideas and solutions. Attendees at the event included school governors, head teachers, elected members, parents and officers from teams across the council including school capacity planning, highways, planning and built environment.
A summary of the suggestions put forward:
Please note that these suggestions may not have been put forward by representatives of the stated school and therefore may not represent that school’s governing body view. In addition, there are also a number of practical barriers to some of the options put forward, including traffic and highways matters. Where sites or land use is suggested, this land may not be available or in Leeds City Council ownership and would therefore need further investigation.
- Procure an Academy Sponsor to open a new 2 form entry (FE) Primary School on a site yet to be identified by LCC in the Meanwood area, creating an additional 60 places
- Expand Carr Manor 4-19 school from 1FE to 2FE, creating an additional 30 places
- Expand St Urban’s Catholic Primary School from 1FE to 2FE, creating an additional 30 places
- Expand Meanwood C of E Primary School from 1FE to 2FE, creating an additional 30 places
- Create a through-school or split site primary school on a site yet to be identified by LCC in the Meanwood area
- Create a further 2 FE (60 places) in the area to provide additional capacity that takes into account future housing developments
We would welcome your comments on the above suggestions or any other options you feel we should consider.
Here is the presentation from the event: Meanwood presentation